Thanh (Bruce) Pham is the CEO of Saigon Technology, a leading Agile offshore software development outsourcing company in Vietnam.
In the process of developing software, several problems might derail a project, sabotage the design and inflict damage on the bottom line. That’s why software testing is so critical to the success of the entire software development project and the quality of the finished product.
Concerned about a shortage of testers or quality assurance (QA) engineers within your company’s technical staff? The position can be outsourced, but how do you find a good company for independent software QA testing services? Choosing a software partner is easier when you have a clear understanding of the variables that are both required and adequate.
When is it appropriate to outsource software testing, and why?
The software testing and quality engineering (QE) phases of the software development life cycle (SDLC) are essential components. That said, the testing procedures often get an insufficient amount of attention, which can be detrimental to software projects.
No one can be sure that developers will complete a project without any issues or faults. For this reason, companies should spend enough time and resources to properly vet any software before launch. When doing so, there are a few advantages to outsourcing QA testing services:
• Time-to-market reduced: Time spent interviewing, onboarding and training software testers are simplified or eliminated because the partner QA testing company will hire and train their team. The partner can then pair you with appropriate candidates—outsourcing developers—for your software needs.
• A diversity of talent: Especially for software QA testing, outsourcing firms often have their own talent pools filled with a large number of QA professionals. Professionals at these IT firms specialized in QA testing software should have worked for many years with a range of testing tools, systems and test environments.
• Quality improved in less time: Outsourcing QA testing allows businesses to focus more on outcomes. In other words, if you allow QA testing professionals to do what they do best, you can spend more time and resources on the earlier aspects of the SDLC.
• Financial savings: Expenses for in-house staff such as recruiting, training, infrastructure investment and so on should be less of a concern because QA testing software outsourcing firms will manage these aspects of the project.
In order to achieve those outcomes, here is a short to-do list to help find a company that is a good fit for independent QA testing services:
1. Check the vendor’s portfolios and previous QA testing software projects.
Above all else, potential vendors must have a comprehensive project portfolio that demonstrates a broad variety of testing services, both manually and automatically. In addition, whether the vendor’s team works with an agile testing culture should be an essential element to consider when it comes to choosing an appropriate vendor.
2. Consider the team’s communication abilities.
What is the engineers’ command of English (both verbal and written) or the language your team will communicate in? How promptly, and with what demeanor, do they respond to your inquiries? How accurate is their feedback? Can the team interpret information so that it is easy to understand and accurate?
3. Ask about the vendor’s knowledge and skills.
To outsource QA testing successfully, you must consider the testers’ experience, knowledge and expertise. Engineers’ certifications, degrees and transcripts of study should be readily available to corroborate these factors. Alternatively, a brief test or trial period could help your team take a closer look at their skill set.
4. Pay attention to work ethic and punctuality.
An outsourced software testing company should be able to spend less time on the project than your internal team. Additionally, vendors should be able to demonstrate their work ethic by the working style and teamwork between the external staff and your in-house personnel. The traditional foundation for work ethic is how they present, react to and address relevant difficulties.
Furthermore, when attending meetings, expect punctuality from potential vendors when it comes to attending meetings and respecting the overall project deadline. A delay in even minor steps while QA testing software slows entire projects down.
5. Emphasize transparency.
Finally, integrity and transparency are two of the most important criteria for establishing a company’s credibility—regardless of industry. For QA testing software vendors, in particular, these two characteristics are essential because they serve as the foundation for the success of the client’s software product.
Forbes Technology Council is an invitation-only community for world-class CIOs, CTOs and technology executives. Do I qualify?